6.02.2015

It's Raining Babies!


I am thrilled to share today’s post with you. If you follow me on Instagram then you may have seen the teaser pics of the rain shower mobiles I’ve been sprinkling on my IG feed the last couple of weeks. Well, I had the pleasure to help host a baby shower for a good friend and this celebration was extra special.

My friends, Suzanne and Trevor, have been battling the heartache and loss of infertility for the last 4 years and with the help of donor eggs and surrogacy, they are now expecting TWIN boys! Suzanne shares her story of infertility and how she came to meet the most wonderful and giving surrogate, Kelly, through her own blog - Our journey to a baby bump. Life is seldom a straight path for any of us and while some twists and turns are easier to navigate, life can take you down a road that can test every ounce of your strength, courage and faith. Suzanne and Trevor’s journey to becoming parents is truly inspirational and there is so much love surrounding these two boys already. I am so very happy for them and their little miracles!


Ok, I’ve got LOTS of photos from the day to share with you. Suzanne asked our mutual friend, Lisa of Lisa Diederich Photography, to capture the day. Especially since Suzanne and Trevor’s surrogate, Kelly, was flying in to join them at the shower all the way from her home state of Texas!

Jill (Suz’s best friend and most gracious host) had the idea for a rain shower theme for the party. This couldn't have been more perfect!  I had toyed with a concept to make a rain shower mobile and now had the perfect motivation to get started. Since Suzanne and Trevor were having twins, well…I had to make two! These were my gift to them for their nursery. I can't wait to see them hanging above these precious little babies.



The clouds are made from mini fabric tassels of torn white cotton strips and pale blue tulle. The rain drops are strung with felt pom poms that I ordered from the Etsy shop, BenzieDesign. Shop owner, Renae, has tons of great color choices but sticking with our color palette, I went with the turquoise, lilac and stone colors. They turned out exactly like I had envisioned them!


You may have noticed that baking is sort of a hobby of mine so I immediately offered to make the dessert table for the party. It was so much fun putting this all together. We decided on a two flavors – a lemon blueberry cake with a lemon cream cheese frosting topped with sugar-crusted blueberries and also a chocolate cake with whipped toffee buttercream topped with toffee shards and chocolate shavings.  

And don't you just love the tiered serving tray?! I totally borrowed it from Suzanne for her own party, haha! Now, I want one. A girl can never have too many serving pieces!





I LOVE baking these little cakelets. It's probably my favorite size to bake. Suzanne and Trevor had family and friends in town for the shower so we served the cupcakes for the party and they got to take home these little cakelets to snack on the rest of the weekend with their house guests. I also gained about 5 pounds from all the taste tasting I (of course) had to do in the kitchen. I'd have to work out 3 hours a day if I were a full-time baker. How does one resist from eating all day?!

I also have this thing for meringue kisses so I whipped up a batch of ginger-flavored meringues out of the Meringue Girls cookbook (highly recommend!).

Jill found this adorable rain shower garland from the Etsy shop, Paperwhite Designs. It was the perfect touch and I love how Lisa captured little glimpses of it in the photos!




Boy Oh Boy is right! The banner was created from card stock that I found over at Hobby Lobby and I used my Cricut Explorer to do the fancy cutting work. My goodness, it's such a time saver (and so precise!).

Kelly even surprised Suzanne with a Pandora bracelet. I'm telling ya, this woman has the biggest heart and it is so wonderful to see the bond that has been created between them! 

For the favors, Jill had found these wonderful little cloud sugar cookies from the Etsy shop, 3CSC: Christina's Confections & Creations. So I whipped up a sugar cookie recipe card and we also attached a cloud-shaped cookie cutter for a complete little gift set.

Jill, Kelly, Suzanne and me

What a happy, happy day! Meeting Kelly was so wonderful and seeing Suzanne smile the entire day was genuinely infectious.  Jill, thank you for allowing me to play host with you! I had so much fun with it all! XOXO


All photos courtesy of Lisa Diederich Photography



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...