6.09.2015

DIY Color Block Letters



Hello! I've got a super quick DIY for ya today. Last night, the kiddos and I were at Target picking up a couple of things and I saw the wooden letters they have in their "crafts" section and I've been eyeballing them for a while now for a project in the girls' bathroom. So, I decided "what the heck...let's do this!"

I desperately need to repaint their bathroom and add a little personality. It's the same boring shade of beige that was on the walls when we moved in 2 years ago and there is absolutely nothing on the walls right now...not even a towel rack. Depressing, I know!

I had this idea to use these cute letters which are the initials of their first names and add hooks to them for the girls' towels but wasn't sure what color scheme I wanted to go with in the bathroom. I've been "thinking" about this for months now and it was time to just dive in and so I asked my oldest to help me pick out some paint colors (because they were so conveniently placed next to the wooden letters) and we were off to start our little DIY project.

We went ahead and purchased both letters, paint colors in avocado, white, (neon) hot coral, deep sea, steel and shell and I also picked up the hooks to attach to the letters.

I thought it would be pretty cool to do a simple color block pattern on these letters so I grabbed some washi tape I had lying around the house to mask off some shapes. I wanted to keep the natural wood finish on the areas that were protected by the washi tape so I didn't bother with painting the letters with primer first. 

I applied 3 coats of each paint color and let it dry for about 10 minutes between coats. Once the paint is dry you can remove the washi tape mask and then finish them off with a couple of coats of sealant. You can use Modge Podge, clear acrylic sealant or even a clear wax. Because I didn't primer these first, I wanted to make sure I protected the paint from being able to chip or scratch off to easily.


I lOVE how they turned out and now I'm feeling inspired to get moving on the rest of the bathroom redo! I still have to add the hooks but I'm going to wait and share that with you once I get these finally hung on the wall. And there is a slight chance I may decide to exchange the single hooks for the double hooks instead. To be continued....

Hope you all have a great week!




1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...